Sunday, June 11, 2006

What's in a Name?

On Sunday after church, we rushed home to pop corn and slice apples. A choice of apple juice or milk completed the snack. We dug into the large bowl of buttered, salted popcorn with colored smaller bowls, passed the plate of green quartered apples, and sipped from our cups. I'm sure the idea was born when we were children. Now, popcorn and apples is a tradition. Along with her creation of cheese fondue, this is my mother's best meal. And then later, we ate Sunday dinner which could have been almost anything including a full breakfast or a slow-cooked meat. My father insisted on having carrot sticks present at every meal.

The method of popping corn evolved from jiffy pop pans with their expanding foil bonnets to hot air poppers to the immediate microwave. But as always, quality reigns and we've reverted to the more natural air popper. It wasn't till my mission that I learned to jiggle a covered pot over the stove with a small amount of oil and some corn kernels. I was a vigorous jiggler to ensure it wouldn't burn. Then, we tossed it all with salt or sugar. I thought it was quite inventive. Paring down the tools to increase the food's quality.

I try to operate with few tools because that is creativity. My art teacher says, "Don't think scarcity. Think abundance."

So, on Sunday, I find myself craving salted popcorn and fresh sweet apples with a mugful of milk. What are your Sunday traditions or favorite meals?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elegant it was not, but on Sunday evenings we would eat oranges whilst watching "Murder She Wrote." Each child was given a paper towel, and dad would peal and toss out orange sections as Ms. Lansbury caught Cabot Cove killers.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy popcorn and apples. If given the choice of just one, I would choose apples. (Popcorn can be strongly seasoned at times.) There is something soothing about a cold, crisp apple. The ideal preparation would be to have the slices cut into pieces, then placed in a finely cut goblet.

My favorite breakfast (or even as brunch) for Sunday morning is Belgium waffles. Or, in a pinch, a strudel (perhaps cherry).

And for dinner, a simple concoction of angel hair, marinara sauce, and Italian meatballs. That, with a tastefully prepared garden salad (with grated cheese and carrot, plus diced egg) to round out the meal. And for drink, water or juice (no schnapps). Bon appétit!

Karen said...

Strangely, popcorn, apples and cheese was our Sunday afternoon tradition, accompanied by the weekly viewing of "Sixteen Candles" (television edited version). I'm inclined to think that the author may have sat in on one of those viewings!

Banner blog, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Yes, indeedy--the very best treat! Popcorn made in a StirCrazy popper is also marvy! Uncle Don and Aunt Ruth once dog sat some pooches who always enjoyed a round of air popped corn sprayed around the kitchen to be caught by each of the lucky hounds--it was a reward for a morning spent at the groomers!

Anonymous said...

a big chunk of meat, mashed taters with greasy gravy runnin off the edge of my plate always does the trick fur me.

Anonymous said...

As a cheeky teen, I enjoyed running up the stairs after church, throwing on a pair of thread bare sweats and curling up on the couch with chips and salsa. On those days when the boys at church were particularly annoying or unusually sweet, I would change it up a bit. I would plop a hearty scoop of whipped cream cheese in bowl and pour medium to hot salsa on top. Please be advised, do not use mild, as the cream cheese cuts the heat so much, you will be left wanting a little kick. Then, I would grab a big bag of white corn resturant style chips and dig in. This snack is still quite soothing to me, as well as filling. There was nothing worse than smelling mothers' savory pot roast in the oven, knowing doneness was hours away. Chips and salsa acted as my second Sunday Savior. Amen to that!

Anonymous said...

A bowl of ice cream at Grammie and Grandpa's while watching Disney on Sunday night. Best when stirred.

Jiffy Pop? You had Jiffy Pop? Families who got Jiffy Pop were like girls who got ponies for their birthday. Oh, I ached for my mom to buy us Jiffy Pop. I would see that commercial on tv with the frighteningly cheerful pre-teen brother and sister delightfully enjoying popcorn in a tin that had come oh so close to exploding to smithereens. They grabbed the metal handle (was this made from a bent hanger?)with gusto in their heavily hot padded/mittened hands. "Curse those chipper tweens", I'd say. "Curse them!"

apple slice said...

anonymous: I applaud the citrus en famille. A father who peals fruit is rare indeed.

brian: We share a favorite breakfast at home—belgian waffles. You are a pro at them. Not to mention your ableskivers. I eat anything out of a goblet.

ktg: I do remember a viewing or so of "Sixteen Candles" at the casa. And, seeing Gandhi and Chariots of Fire on the silver screen with the familia. What a introduction to life.

patti (mom): An exciting animal story. Perhaps Sadie Ann would go for this?

drainthetub: Please identity yourself. We'll be fast chums after some adjustment to your diet.

aimskidoodles: Chips and salsa, the perfect pairing. Can you believe some people don't eat highly seasoned food? You are "unusually sweet."

senegae: A dish of ice cream is never wrong. Few things compare to memories of being a child at grandpa and grandma's. Brian and I profitted from an evening of television, then waffles after a sleepover at our paternal grandparents. They had a avocado tree the size of Manhattan. Gold nuggets. I think the wire was indeed a heavy duty coat hanger.