Friday, March 30, 2007

Perfume, or Why I Love the French

I read mysteries and detective stories in my youth. In fact, I largely read them. Encyclopedia Brown, Trixie Belden, the Happy Hollisters, and of course our titian-haired Mademoiselle Drew. I had a book of short mysteries as well. The first story in this book involved a closet of clothes in the suspect’s home and the clue to the suspect was in this closet (at least I read this into the story . . . ). Hanging clothes, shoes, and accessories were listed and I was stumped. What in that closet pointed to a suspect? The answer was in fact the choice of colors hanging in the closet, which in turn leads to the woman’s hair color and skin tone. In short, fashion is telling.

My friend Scout limits herself to one scent at a time. When the perfume is gone, she can choose a new one. I am not so strict, though the idea of identifying a period of life by the scent one wears is appealing. A mystery query to our senses. I was Anaïs Anaïs in junior high. Now I am more expansive (schizophrenic): Light Blue, Fleur de Lotus, Gio, and Nirmala from Molinard are what I spray most often.

In my mind my clothes are red or pink. So, even when I wear an ensemble without red or pink, I choose red or pink in my mind and then select a scent. For example, I wore white shorts and a white and brown Indian tunic on Wednesday. That outfit was pink (I wore Nirmala). Blue is always my base color which teams with red or pink like a dream. So pink and red are the accents. Today I wore red cotton pants with a light grey long sleeved tee. My outfit was clearly red. I wore Fleur de Lotus. Gio is always red. Light Blue is always red. I don’t know what this means about me. As a youth I was told I was a Spring. Ho ho. The orange shirt and white skirt I wore last Sunday are pink. I sprayed Nirmala about 4 times. I love this one.

Occasionally, I wear the soft lily of the valley fragrance Diorissimo. Of course, it is a pink or light blue outfit. Sha from Alfred Sung is also pink. Lou Lou is red and blue. Allure is pink. My only ambidextrous scent is Fleur de Lotus. What versatility. It works with everything! I could be bald and say that pink is for the light scents and red is for the heavy scents but that is Scents for Dummies and incredibly stereotypical. My color designation has to do with the notes of the scent. Some would find Nirmala heavy. I love it’s headstrong pinkness. I fell in love with Poison long after it’s heydey. To me, Poison is always purple so I can’t buy it, owning no purple. I could never be accused of wearing deep purple. I reserve this for nobility or those who can wear deep purple. But, they could wear one of my red perfumes with it. I suggest Lou Lou, a deep, base composition that is always Belgian in my mind.

10 comments:

rachel with redshoes on said...

I heard an article saying that a woman should choose her "signature scent" in her 30's. I am in process of finding mine. I also think a woman should have a proverbial bouquet of scents to choose from depending on her mood. Do you hold with the notion there should be one "signature scent". My favorite 3 scents are either pink grapefruit(GAP), Dewberry(The Bodyshop)-(because it reminds me of England) and my "fancy" perfume 'Miss Dior Cherie'. Cherie is light and decidedly more feminine than I naturally am. But, since that is the point of perfume, I decided to indulge and embrace feminity. A friend had given me a gift card to Nordstom which made it all possible. As a flower, what would you be? If you see yourself as pink and red?

apple slice said...

In theory, I love the notion of a signature scent. I have been witness to a few ladies who should wear no other scent than the one they wear now. The scent has become them and smells like a whole story on them. I love too many perfumes to choose one. At least, if there is a signature scent for me, I haven't found it yet (like marriage?). I applaud your Miss Dior Cherie.

As a flower, I don't know. That is too hard. I think a white tulip. For looks, I love a gigantic pink peony. Really, anything in the pink of health. And you?

Karen said...

I bought my first perfume with you. It was Anne Klein. I didn't have a lot of confidence in picking a fragrance, but you liked it, and your opinion meant a lot. So I wore Anne Klein lots, and over the course of my teens I had like 3 bottles of Anais Anais, some Beautiful and, of course, Bennetton Colors. (Heh heh- talk about a scent that takes you back...)
The first perfume I recall receiving as a gift was Wind Song, classic drug store brand with a big blue glass bird on top. I thought it smelled like lemons.
Scott bought me Sunflowers once; I think I wore it twice.
A Swedish couple wants to name their daughter Metallica. Thank goodness for network news.
Some of us wish we were perfume wearers, but alas, my favorite fragrances are soaps. Particularly of the laundry variety. Specifically Surf Detergent. Ahhhh, it is heavenly!

apple slice said...

Okay, I think you blogged about Surf. There is nothing like the scent of clean. I remember the Anne Klein. I think we were given samples by Sheryl Carlin at Superchallenge. I liked that one too. I remember wearing Camp Beverly Hills for a summer during high school. Let's face it, packaging is everything.

I would no longer be a peony. I love a peony but it's not me. Animals are easier. I would be a seal, no question.

I am curious as to why people (women) don't wear scent. Is it always allergy?

Anonymous said...

I remember once visiting a doctor for a series of tests. I found myself becoming terribly allergic during this; sneezing frequently. I don't remember ever having such a strong allergic reaction before (with the possible exception of the time I was around a certain long-haired cat).

Anyway, one of the tests was memory related, so I had to return hours later and redraw a complex shape I had seen the earlier visit. Again, I was terribly allergic.

It was determined that the perfume the doctor was wearing was the culprit. She felt terrible, promising never to wear the same perfume again. Though it was not a particularly strong perfume (I barely noticed it), I shall never forget it.

Karen said...

To answer, I think wearing scents has never become habitualized for me. I'll acquire some perfume, wear it for a couple of days, forget about it and go about my normal routine de toilette. I must admit to wearing lots of some kind of Victoria's Secret after-bath spray quite a bit while dating Scott, and intentionally leaving traces of it behind on a sweatshirt I borrowed once. He has confessed that it was a scent he enjoyed and that the sweatshirt tactic proved effective. Perhaps the after-bath spray is a more realistic scent choice for me; lovely fragrance with a practical application (pun intended).

Peony vs. Seal- I have peonies. They are delightful. I thought seals were, too, until I saw "Happy Feet". Holy Cow! Red eyes and jagged teeth. This is not you, KTG. Pardon me for being so bold, but I think you would be a hibiscus, and I a jonquil. The big white kind with the honking yellow center.

apple slice said...

Brian, with your allergies, I am not surprised you fell prey to the doctor's perfume light though it was. I admit to wearing too much perfume and can't imagine it would cause anyone an ounce of trouble. At least I have never affected you in a negative way. hoho.

KTG, thank you for the compliment of the hibiscus. The jonquil has a refined name and I would not say anything about you is honking. Yellow is a happy color. I love the small wet seals at the zoo. I would dive in the water on a whim and their sleek look is captivating. I do want to see Happy Feet. I am deprived.

Karen said...

I apologize for the third comment here, but this post fascinates me and I have re-read it several times. Would you please clarify this statement:
"I could be bald and say that pink is for the light scents and red is for the heavy scents but that is Scents for Dummies and incredibly stereotypical."

Once again, I have read and re-read. I just don't get it, but it cracks me up every time! I guess this explains why I never got too much into fragrances- I just don't get it. :-)

apple slice said...

Pink is light, airy, pastel. Red is solid, dark, with a jacket on. Though I am not explaining like a poet, this is the notion in a nutshell. Pink is summer, red is winter. That type of nonsense. Being an artist, you could better explain tromped perceptions of color, i.e., hue. In practical application, my wearing pink perfume in summer only is not a true statement. I wear pink perfumes year-round though red scents are more prevalent in winter/fall. I blame no one for not getting my mind.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.