Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Girls



Today I met a friend at The Bookworks immediately after church meetings. The Sabbath is a good day to visit friends. So, the slight woman next to moi is Alice Waters. I have known her for a long time. She just met me today and judging by the look on her face she found me fascinating.

I met Katya in the parking lot and we descended on the store in typical fashion. There was no lecture and the only thing to represent food in clear sight was the table Ms. Waters sat by to sign The Art of Simple Food. Having no book to sign, I plonked down with her and Katya snapped us. Ms. Waters has a kind voice. There was wine and cheese tasting elsewhere in the store.

I relived the Jacques Pépin lecture and signing at this same location a few years ago. It was a night to remember. Was it night? I scarcely know. But, I have his signed (en français) book to enjoy. There were fraises des bois and various creations from Fast Food My Way. KTG and I attended (and paid $10) to have Martha Stewart sign our books at a Design Expo in Salt Lake. KTG engaged her in conversation. I had her sign an asparagus page and she commented on the healthy growth of her own that year. I attended a presentation (Q & A?) and booksigning by Amy Tan also in Salt Lake. She brought her pooches in Vuitton dog carriers. I remember little else.

Today, the couple in line in front of us brought a menu from Chez Panisse, 2003. She signed it for them. They became engaged at the restaurant that evening. I heartily congratulated the fellow while his wife picked up their reserved copy of the book.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I am on the late freight here! What a great picture. I was wracking my brain to figure out why I knew Alice Waters' name... so glad you mentioned Chez Panisse. I am no chef, but enjoyed the PBS documentary about her establishment (in Palo Alto, was it?). And OF COURSE she found you fascinating. Who doesn't?
Ah yes, the Martha event. Pre-incareration. Bless.
I hope you are okay down there, no flames licking at your doorstep. Take care.

Karen said...

Oh, and you look fabulous dahling.

apple slice said...

Thank you dear. Ho ho. It was a nice time.

Just returned from the OC. Was evaqu'd on Monday evening and it was rescinded on Tuesday. I stayed up there for the smoke. Ick. But, back here now and things are well. I don't know anyone yet who lost a home. Food for thought.

Krustee said...

I'm sure Alice would appreciate a copy of the picture. I should have been there. Glad you were.