Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Home Away from Home



Each Thursday I volunteer for two hours at my library branch. Can you spell happiness? I walk, cutting through this alley to admire four colors of bougainvilla.






Normally in a touch of a hurry, I arrive slightly sweaty and chipper. I head to the worker office (where I am privy to the door code) and drop my bag, sign in on the clipboard, and don a volunteer badge necklace. I grab a shelving cart and start organizing. I push the cart around the rows of books. I shelve, I align, I tidy. Normally I end in the children's library. There are so many books (since they are small, thin). At the end of my shift I check out whatever books I want on the computer, scanning barcodes, printing date due slips. It is a highlight. I love books. I walk home to lunch.

3 comments:

aimee and aaron said...

I think I would love the library's organizing system if I was properly introduced. In some fantasy world of mine, my entire house would be organized in a similar labeling system. Everything in it's rightful place is a dream come true. Volunteering at the library sounds wonderful.

apple slice said...

It is a few hours of bliss for me. I thought I would hate shelving but I am dangerously way too into it. I love putting things back. Sigh.

Brian said...

Such a pretty picture of the library! It looks like an oil painting turned into a photograph. Just wonderful!