Thursday, April 22, 2010

Receipts and Heritage: The Collection


Because I am insane, this week I acquired two new cookbooks. At least I can attest, they have been on my wish list. And, of course, the cookbook is useful. Especially those from The Junior League. My acquisitions are Charleston Receipts, the oldest Junior League cookbook still in print (appearing much older than its 1950 publication date), and California Heritage (Pasadena). As stated, I've had my eye on these for a long time. Laurie Colwin cites the Receipts in some of the best food writing we have in America. As it crops up everywhere, I felt it was an approved purchase. Since I grew up alongside Pasadena, the Heritage cookbook is on the shelves of most home kitchens. When I was served Swedish Cream at my reading society two months ago, we traced its origin to the Pasadena record. Last year I went into a Los Angeles County home kitchen which was circa their wedding year (about 25 years before) and the Heritage cookbook is in a little trough of cookbooks on display. I took it down and lovingly touched its leaves. The female of the couple made a comment I didn't hear as I was busy. I doubt she ever used the book . . . I am illustrating its widespread popularity in that geographical region. So, I ordered the new one, much preferring the old cover (above) mind you, and it arrived this week. The Receipts is in anticipation of the Lady Baltimore Cake I'll make this weekend for the Great Cake Bake. More to come . . . .

No comments: