Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cookie Cutters

image from www.marthastewart.com

I am not into sugar cookies. I am drawn to their fanciful shapes and even more fanciful icing. They belong on the cover of magazines. Most often sugar cookies are tasteless, floury, and the frosting is too sweet. I take a bite and leave it. Plus, I avoid making roll-out cookies. My sister is my polar opposite in the sugar cookie arena. She loves to eat and make them. I don't know where she came from. She is constantly making new sugar cookie recipes. There have been one or two cookies I like enough to eat; I like the sugar cookies from Milton's. Often they are in the shape of dolphins.

I found this recipe earlier this week and was swayed by fresh nutmeg and the old-fashioned title. These women didn't mess around with fragile dough. I was encouraged and had a small amount of sour cream in the fridge from our chili night. It was a go. I made the dough and popped it in the fridge until today. This afternoon I rolled out without qualm and baked to good effect. I forgot to sprinkle them (my wrapped gifts have no bows or ribbons either.) The cookies are very nice. A good sugar cookie dough. Now, I will move onto frosting . . . .

3 comments:

Brian said...

"C is for Cookie … it's good enough for me!"

apple slice said...

a wonderful song! i wonder who wrote this lyric. perhaps ernie? i am singing it . . . .

aimee and aaron said...

just you wait for valentine's day! it will change your mind on sugar cookies. however, i agree they are time consuming and require dedication. we shall start slow.