Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Progress Times Three: Quilt Finishes

If my iPhoto calendering is correct, these are finishes 2, 3, and 4 in 2014. I've started at least that many more since the new year. Two are scrappy and I'm collecting fabrics for the other one. But, these are exciting to finish. I have the St. Louis 16-Patch on our bed. It was super easy and fun to make.

I was in the mood to cull quiet fabrics. I used many that I had and then bought some fat quarters along the way. I really enjoyed making the blocks and choosing the fabrics but when I had sewn them all together, I was ready to be done. I added one more row that is a bit random just to increase the size of it. This is the largest quilt I've made. I made it almost large enough to fit on the California King. It was all-over quilted at Quilted Works.

While shopping for fabric for another project, I found some good sashing fabric to finish the Sugar Block Club quilt from 2013. 



I had put the finished squares in a drawer but was happy to pull them out and get to work. I really like how it turned out. I stitched in the ditch on my home machine which wasn't too terrible because the quilt is not large. The batting I got was very thin but puffed up after being washed. It kind of lends the look of hand quilted work. A nice surprise! The background fabric on the front is a white-on-white polka dot which was gone from the store by the time I needed a backing. So, I got a white-on-white cute little fabric for the back. 















And the last finish is a baby quilt for my visiting teaching companion who had her third boy.

I've seen similar quilts online and wanted to try an all-solids quilt and machine quilt in circles (mine are organic!). I used the quilting guide on my machine for the first time. I would quilt like this again on a small quilt. I think I learned some things. Like, keep your eye on the guide, not on the needle.


I have never finished so many projects in one week. But, I say Hallelujah!!





3 comments:

Ginger said...

Love all of these! And a finish is so nice, isn't it??? :-)

Carla said...

Hallelujah!! it is. I do like the fabrics, and designs in these quilts. So snuggly and comforting.
And so impressive to finish all three. :)

Salmagundi said...

To finish 3 quilts in one week must be very gratifying. They all look great. What kind of batting did you use in the sugar block quilt -- it really does give that hand-quilted look. Sally