Wednesday, February 07, 2007

When There Were Trees

There are two people who should not walk around with an arm in a sling: Yo-Yo Ma and Michele Burgess. She has a dog, Decoy, rescued from the Cedar fire. Both greeted me when I walked into Brighton Press yesterday before noon.

A day so easy to make happen, once the words were in place. I came without introduction or appointment. The dog barked and is “completely harmless.” Michele was seated at a desk by the open door, her arm in a sling; Jim Renner approached to help. I patted the dog and called him “puppy,” my title for all new dogs. I was invited through the office studio to a library room alcove where Bill Kelly collects first editions. Jim too is kind, harmless. His work is on display on the walls of the open exhibit room. He offered to show me anything the press had created that he could find. I asked for broadsides and told him my favorite art book is Swimming Lessons (poem by Nancy Willard, etchings by Michele Burgess) and was led to the only table in the open room. He pulled up another chair.

He brought the actual to the table and told me about each. (Books and broadsides are online.) I started with Repair, Kelly and Burgess’ latest work. A substantial size and page count and the quality of rust throughout. We went through Jim’s current creation of woodcuts and Kelly’s poetry, The Outline of Reparation. Smaller, horizontal, spare interior on all counts save the woodcuts and color. And we were off. Sandra Alcosser’s poem The Blue Vein with hand colored etchings by Burgess; Figures Made Visible in the Sadness of Time, poems by Peter Everwine and etchings by Bill Kelly. Broadsides of The Blue Vein, Drought, Elegiac Fragments, Flame. Swimming Lessons and Sleeping Inside the Glacier are both out of print. I have seen them at UCSD Mandeville Special Collections and at The Athenaum.

I met Bill when he arrived after teaching his letterpress class at SDSU. He greeted me warmly. Each of the troop is genuine and welcoming and interested. An attempt to connect image and word. I am on the mailing list. Michele’s parting words: bring in something you’ve done. I ordered a sandwich at Waters after two o’clock.


Swimming Lessons
Nancy Willard

A mile across the lake, the horizon bare
or nearly so: a broken sentence of birches.
No sand. No voices calling me back.
Waves small and polite as your newly washed hair
push the slime-furred pebbles like pawns,
an inch here. Or there.

You threaded five balsa blocks on a strap
and buckled them to my waist, a crazy life
vest for your lazy little daughter.
Under me, green deepened to black.
You said, “Swim out to the deep water.”
I was seven years old. I paddled forth

and the water held me. Sunday you took away
one block, the front one. I stared down
at my legs, so small, so nervous and pale,
not fit for a place without roads.
Nothing in these depths had legs or need of them
except the toeless foot of the snail.

Tuesday you took away two more blocks.
Now I could somersault and stretch.
I could scratch myself against trees like a cat.
I even made peace with the weeds that fetch
swimmers in the noose of their stems
while the cold lake puckers and preens.

Friday the fourth block broke free. “Let it go,”
you said. When I asked you to take
out the block that kept jabbing my heart,
I felt strong. This was the sixth day.
For a week I wore the only part
of the vest that bothered to stay:

a canvas strap with nothing to carry.
The day I swam away from our safe shore,
you followed from far off, your stealthy oar
raised, ready to ferry me home
if the lake tried to keep me.
Now I watch the tides of your body

pull back from the hospital sheets.
“Let it go,” you said. “Let it go.”
My heart is not afraid of deep water.
It is wearing its life vest,
that invisible garment of love
and trust, and it tells you this story.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is something splendid about a fine book.

I have a boat bookcase. Its "hull" is white and navy blue, with a strip of cedar separating the two. Inside the boat are four shelves (and two or-locks).

One fine book I have is Treasure Island. It is a 100th anniversary commemorative edition and features type and layout which mimic that of earlier editions of the book. It includes color "plates"--pages on which illustrations appear which are of a different kind of paper than the rest of the book. The illustrations are by N.C. Wyeth, the legendary artist.

I also have a fantasy book in a fine hardback edition. Its text is printed alternately in two colors--red and green. The two colors represent events occurring either in our world or the fantasy world.

Yes, my boat bookcase is home to some fine books.

apple slice said...

A classic frame for classic books. I applaud the person who decided to splurge for two ink colors. Swimming Lessons is printed in black and aqua type. Beautiful. If the hillside pipes burst again, you can row away in the boat.

apple slice said...

Aimskidoodles, you are a dear. I encouraged mother to invest in Emma Kate and she loves it and "gets it." In fact, she got it before I said anything. Apparently I did not inherit her acumen, nor yours.

I love an Aimskidoodles inscription in her gift books of choice. I should frame the inscriptions. I have Vincent in his candle hat sitting with me at my desk.

Anonymous said...

What a nice poem you’ve shared with us.

I am reminded of an assignment I received from my 8th-grade English teacher. She asked our class to write a creative poem for homework. I had not written many poems, yet very quickly one came to me. I titled it, “The Deadly Tracks.” It began with the following lines:

A little red car drove down the road,
Its engine began to sputter.
It came to a set of railroad tracks,
And stalled halfway across.
“Don’t get out,” said the father,
“I’ll get it started.”

And it continues from there. Some poems are happy poems, and some are sad poems. Based on how my poem began, it would seem to be a sad poem. As it turned out, this would be correct.

My English teacher and the class rather enjoyed my poem. I don’t remember why it did not rhyme. I seemed to be more interested in the content. We would go on to write other poems that year, though I’m not sure that my others ever toped the first. General writing is a stronger suit for me than poetry. In fact, a couple years ago she read an email I sent her and was quite impressed with my writing ability.

apple slice said...

"The Deadly Tracks" are quite fresh in my mind. Full of pathos, grim reality, misfortune. Very Lemony Snicket.

Anonymous said...

+ The Deadly Tracks +

A little red car drove down the road,
Its engine began to sputter.
It came to a set of railroad tracks,
And stalled halfway across.

Everyone sighed and the father said,
“Don’t get out; I’ll get it started.”
“Where have I heard that one before?”
Asked the mother.

In the distance, a train whistle blew,
And suddenly the alarm sounded.
The crossing gates slammed down,
Trapping the tiny car and its occupants.

The mother screamed,
“Get me out of here, you fool!”
The father turned to the mother,
And cussed the good-natured woman out.

Suddenly, the train was upon them.
You heard a “Crunch,” “Splat.”
Great globs of blood splattered everywhere.

You see two figures floating silently upwards.
One hits the other and says,
“I thought you were going to start it.”


And that’s the poem. I now wonder if it was wrong. Train wrecks, after all, are not a typical topic for a poem. In any event, it has remained a memorable poem.

My teacher, often called upon to intervene in the troublesome, complicated lives of her charges, took the poem in stride.