Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Living in the West

What is it about a row of cypress that takes me to a happy melancholy? Did you see the Pasadena yard with cypress and agave from the recent Martha Stewart magazine? It is truly a dream on paper. To walk such a space would be a highlight. I am looking at the cover of the June Sunset magazine. There is a citrusy laid outdoor cement table with wooden benches on a gravel plain. And in the distance, a wonderland Seuss would draw, complete with a row of cypress.

Cypress are figurative symbols of death. I know because we had a widely spaced row in our back area in Glendale. In addition to thinking of Tuscany (where I’ve never visited), I think of my youth.

Sunset is a magazine of applicable fact and pleasures. Each page is relevant. This month I have learned about outdoor dining, one wall rooms in nature, a rose drink in Portland garnished with a single petal, a trailer that is the RV equivalent of the iPod, the history of Pike Place Market, fifteen varieties of bougainvilleas, and some spicy meatballs that look super yum.

For those in the Pasadena area, there is a Maynard Dixon exhibit from June 1 to August 12 with masterpieces from BYU and private collections, including twelve classic covers for Sunset. See it at the Pasadena Museum of California Art.

I enjoyed the article Vintage Getaway about an updated cottage and harmony of past and present objects. It also got me thinking how I would sit on the couch if a magazine was photographing me. This person is sitting up very straight in a casual leg cross. I enjoyed the window that opened up and in, reclaimed wood-plank floors from old chicken coops, and most of all the white and red wide striped entrance mat. The room with the mat is my favorite.

Unfortunately for you, I avoided the articles on Alaska, Kings Canyon, and most of the Idyllwild feature. These locations have mountains. I have a genetic predisposition not to be in love with mountains. I don’t hate them. I just don’t gape and gaffe. Yes, I like waterfalls, crevasses, and valleys.

Disguise the Hot Tub really wakes up on the second page of the article. Sunning beds and a hot tub cover that slides under the larger bed when the hot tub is in use. I said audibly, No way.

In the last year, Margo True (formerly of Saveur) showed up at Sunset as the food editor. I don’t know how they lured her but this fish is loving it. Her article on the Blenheim apricot makes the mouth water. Tangy-sweet. The recipe for chilled poached halibut with fresh apricot salsa tempts me to poach something beyond an egg.

The Art of Barbecue features Santa Fe’s Bill and Cheryl Jamison. Just listen to this:

First there’s direct grilling, in which smaller cuts of meat (and vegetables) are cooked quickly, right over a hot fire. It’s ideal for boneless chicken breasts, fish fillets, or meats that need a good sear, such as steak.
At the opposite end of the spectrum is barbecuing, the “low and slow” indirect-heat method that turns large cuts like pork shoulder and brisket into tender, smoky piles of meat.
In between these approaches is the hybrid one called two-level grilling, which allows you to cook medium-size pieces of meat (such as pork tenderloin or ribs) all the way through without burning the exterior. For this you need two temperature zones: one hot, one cooler. The meat is first browned in the hot zone, then moved to the cooler area to cook through.


As always, I don’t know how to take Diane Keaton who ends the issue with her new home restoration of a Lloyd Wright (son of Frank) in Los Angeles. I’ll just leave it at that.

As solstice approaches, I renew my goal of growing numerous citrus and fruit trees when I have some dirt. I embrace temperate climes and gentle winds.

4 comments:

Karen said...

This was a lovely read. I too baffle over how to take Diane Keaton. I find myself wanting to adore her, but then often squint eyes and scrunch nose at some of her choices. But then again, I do that at many of my own choices, as well.

Karen said...

Oh yeah, and my friend Heather grew up in a Lloyd-esque home in Altadena, built by a student of FLW. It was a darn nifty edifice.

apple slice said...

Keaton is wearing red leather gloves in the picture with her tailored black suit. Okay, it is her clothes that tip off my cringe and wonder. I've liked her well enough in the movie roles I've witnessed. I respect her able navigation in the Hollywood playpen. I sigh in bewilderment.

Heather had style. A great egg.

Anonymous said...

Hi! ktg tipped me off to your site, and I've enjoyed reading your posts. Thank you for thinking I had style-- I reacted against my parent's mid-century modern taste and now live in a Pasadena bungalow! Hope you're well!
Heather