Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

I held out for years. I thought of the gym as a group sport, an easy outlet for the weak who really didn’t want to exercise, and perhaps worse, a place to meet people. I always knew it wasn’t for me.

I started jogging with my dad. We went outdoors, not far from home. Why would I pay a monthly fee to exercise indoors? Well, rocket scientists, I wouldn’t. Indoors sports is not my thing. Hence, my refusal to join the WNBA, Ice Capades, and gymnastic squads. Jogging alone outdoors is time to reflect, to not think, so that running becomes breathing. For body and spirit. Canvassing the earth.

I am a simpleton in that I don’t need to acquire much (in comparison to those in North America). I have always loved the idea of carrying around everything you own on your back. Perhaps this dates from following the pioneers and living in the West. Sadly, I own far more than I could pack on my back but my conscience tells me not to buy most things and to keep it small and if possible light. Of course, I love to pack light too. With jogging, one requires minimal equipment and is not dependent on a machine.

A couple years ago, I had an injury. Plantar faciitis in my right foot. It was a long haul. I couldn’t do any weight bearing exercise (walking was painful) and told myself firmly not to loose my mind. I tried everything: physical therapy, ultrasound, cortisone shot, aspirin, hot and cold water, a night splint, inserts for my shoes, acupuncture for about six to eight months, and rest.

I knew it was inevitable. I had to join a gym for any exercise. I had to sit and bike. I hoped the elliptical machine would work but it was too much weight bearing at first. I sat and biked with the same three each morning. There was G, a woman who showed up in full make-up and talked like a NY dame. She came from Rochester and spent the evenings and weekends gardening and seeing a number of men. She always ended in the hot tub with a glass of wine. Sometimes she showered before she left for work, sometimes she didn’t. This produced some comment among the locals.

The other two were sane men, T and D. D has two children, a boy and girl. Both have begun college since our meeting. I fear he is now experiencing marital difficulties. He has a voice that carries (because he talks loud) and is a very pleasant fellow. I think he is an engineer. T is a finance guy but his calling card is his responsible nature and advanced vocalization of right and wrong. He is an active Catholic with four children. The daughter married two years ago. G threated to show up in her pajamas. Of course none of us were invited and it was all in good fun. He is an excellent father and husband and travels a lot for his work. He works from home. T brings the newspaper every morning and comments on the articles. D makes jokes. G (until she stopped coming) told stories full of innuendo and complained about her daughters and her job.

It was like a club and we called each other by name and wished each other good morning and later, good day. We all sat and pedaled in the early morning. After some time, I drifted away, able to be upright little by little.

Those of us who go early in the morning know each other. There is T and K (married), L and R (married and neighbors), J who is also in yoga and went to aesthetician school last year, K who works for the school board, S who complains about squeaky equipment, and a whole lot more.

During this time I also started yoga classes (at the gym). They have helped me to no end and I embrace it now (it took me a while to love).

We call each other by name. From the co-owners to the trainers, the clients and the instructors. My idea was to get in and get out, preferably addressing no one. A solitary endeavor. I was wrong. It has been a life shaping experience. I love my gym.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love this post. I hate the gym. I drag my sorry behind down there in wonderment as to what good it is doing. About a month ago I finally signed up with a personal trainer, Chris the Sicilian, with whom I meet only once a week. This has definitely improved my work-outs, and I appreciate having someone there to congratulate me when I don't wimp out. Plus, now I have to go get the weekly update on his fiance's pregnancy and the menus from his family's weekly get-togethers. At least I'm not fighting this battle with a Sicilian mother cooking for me!

apple slice said...

I am super impressed. I have not the nerve to get a trainer. A Sicilian would be warm and energetic. I love that he eats well. The trainers I see subsist on overly healthy food and supplements. In fact, I want to call them girls sometimes (they are mostly men).

Amanda said...

Karen, what a great post! How inspiring. I have been wanting to try running and I'm thinking of maybe even starting tomorrow. We;ll see. But when you say, "canvassing the earth"...it's sounds so much prettier than running. Glad that you have made such friends. My kids are very excited to view Ratatouille as well.

apple slice said...

amanda, thanks for your encouragement. I must say how much stretching has done for me. It is a world of difference and has mitigated injury. Who knew I was so prone? I didn't get injured until this time but is was a doo-sie. sp?

Can't wait to hear about Cape Cod! How marvelous.