Monday, June 25, 2007

Refreshments are Served

Last night I cut desserts, arranged them on trays in an attractive fashion, and mingled. My mother is the new activities chair and I am in town. After the fireside, refreshments were served. I brought to the task what I learned in my few short months in a new relief society calling where catering figures into our duties. I am pleased with my new-found knowledge and rejoiced in spreading this wealth to a desert with the goal of improving life as we know it and making things lovely.

About 8 to 10 were scheduled to bring desserts. I waited in anticipation, trays and knives ready. My mother made a square pan of Ghiradelli brownies from the package. I showered it with powdered sugar and cut them into 1-inch squares. The first offering to arrive was a paper plate with oatmeal-y chocolate chip cookies covered in foil. A homely and homey start. I hoped for variety and thanked the giver.

The next time I turned around there were two 9 x 13s with frosted cakes. One a spice cake with cream colored frosting and one an orange cake with white frosting and much moisture. I worried how to cut these and arrange the pieces on the trays. I gave the orange cake squares center stage for its color. The spice cake suffered in comparison only because it was not exciting (dull brown) and most likely from a box. Short shrift. (We dished more out later but it was not the first picked for the team.)

We came out grandly with a eye-pleasing variety: baby cream puffs filled unfortunately with heavy raspberry frosting (not a light cream as desired), Hello Dollys that were excellent in every way (baked in a jelly roll pan for thinner crust), tiny chocolate chip cookies, chocolate and caramel cookies bars, mint brownies. I sampled a bit of each. May I explain the fascination? I have always been taken with the results of a pot luck. One day an important article will be published.

In a traditional mealtime potluck, the baby cream puff maker equates to a main dish. Someone who knows not everyone has time or inclination and who delivers each time. My friend Andrea is a main dish person with a middle name of Chicken Casserole. I enjoyed the tiny cc cookies for their cunning size and charm. Improving the visual with a change of shape or size. Easy and important. The maker is a beautiful person I don’t know well . . . we seem to have become friends in recent visits. She lived in NYC until recently but is from this area. She is now back and misses her friends who were so interesting . . . artists and doctors (a delightful pairing, no?). A husband and small baby in tow who is christened something lovely and foreign. I enjoy this quick and wonderful interchange. It is always good to know there is someone who understands who is seated on the other side of the room.

Bar cookies must be my favorites. I enjoy them all. One cannot tell if our efforts were overwhelmingly restorative but I believe they were. Someone complimented the serving platters and trappings brought from home. Another praised the small size of the desserts. I suggested they have cheese, crackers, veggies, and dill dip next time.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I envision you putting this lovely affair together in Patti's kitchen, though you were probably actually at the church.
I feel like even though I was not there bringing something under foil, I should still apologize because I would have asked Wesley to whip up some Family Canning brownies. They are dry and bland and highly offensive, and as such are what I fall back on when I have a refreshment assignment at church. (Aren't I awful?) I ordered them a while back when the young women did a dry-pack project. They were delivered in a 40lb bag and the deliverer announced "brownies for Africa!" as she dropped them with a thud on my counter.
Thus I assume the blame for all nasty goodies at church functions everywhere. I am equally guilty. What else am I going to do with 40lbs of brownie mix?

I love how I always seem to come away from your blogs feeling like the Anti-Karen. Maybe I am your doppleganger! -snort!

apple slice said...

40 lbs of brownie mix. You are a true saint. I do think you are smart to use it and how wonderful to do good at the same time. Wesley is fun to make brownies. As a mother of so many, you have immunity in most things. This will be addressed in my article as well.