Sunday, August 19, 2007

Midsummer Meal

Yesterday I finished all 853 pages of Five Smooth Stones which took twenty moons to complete. It is the current read of the Reading Society and we look forward to discussing in September after our summer hiatus. We try to resemble Congress in our vacation schedule. I was surprised to pick up Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Birthmark soon after putting down the tome.

To celebrate any small victory, it is nice to plan a dinner party. I have not entertained in twenty moons either. So tonight was it. Here is the menu.

Wild Smoked Salmon

Mint, Feta, and Watermelon Salad (recipe on an earlier post)
Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

Peach Infused Water

My guests were kind and appreciative. We discussed everything: counseling, Sunday School rooms, kids, relationships, counseling, bosses, GPS, trapeze class, taxi drivers, counseling, bitterness, first grade, summer vacation, and counseling. It was well rounded. One of my happier moments of the day was finding a bottle of red wine vinegar in the cupboard which I started yesterday to worry over (thinking I had none). I was going to barter with my neighbors for 2 tablespoons of the stuff for a Zip-loc of chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. I am not the type to not know my neighbors. I borrow too many eggs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I much enjoy salmon (wild or domesticated).

And cookies; had I been at your dinner party, I would have been seen hovering near the cookie plate. Yes, many cookies would have disappeared from the plate. Anytime is the right time for a cookie.

Once, I purchased a gift of cookie boxes for a relative. When she unwrapped the cookie boxes, she was delighted. So much so that her attention kept returning to the cookies, rather than to her unopened gifts. It was wonderful, to realize I had got her her favorite gift....

apple slice said...

It is gratifying to give someone the perfect gift. The cookies were quite nice and I sent a gift bag of them home with each guest. I like to think of them munching them for breakfast.

Karen said...

I couldn't have dreamed up a more appetizing menu! (I wish it were coming to a menu near me.) And I'll bet those cookies didn't survive until breakfast time. I just spent the last two weeks eating sausages and fish and chips. I am a walking grease-ball. I'm off to print the watermelon salad recipe!