Friday, September 14, 2007

Stargazers

I am sitting, lying, and basking in heaven. This house has a fabulous collection of children's literature. In fact, as I chose my first stack this morning, I felt like I was at the library. I began with The Pinkish, Purplish, Bluish Egg by Bill Peet. There is a good number of Peets so I will intersperse them in my reading. Followed with a familiar favorite, The Secret Three by Mildred Myrick, drawings by Arnold Lobel. The cross-hatched children and the sea and the bottle are Harriet Welsh's childhood. Blue and yellow make green. It is inscribed by the author to J. H. M., who has sent many messages. I hope I am the kind of person of whom it is said, she sent many messages. Snippets from Happy Times in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren, illustrated by Ilon Wikland is good for those wanting to read of Lisa, Karl, Bill, Anna, Olaf, and Britta. Further on, there is Lotta. I ended the sitdown with Stargazer to the Sultan by Barbara K. Walker and Mine Sümer, illustrated by Joseph Low. I enjoy a palatable moral. Next to go: Lonely Scarecrow (if you can get through it, says the mom) by Tim Preston, illustrated by Maggie Kneen and The Three Golden Apples by Nathaniel Hawthorne. They also have a piano. I am pleased.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow. We have a pretty good library of children's books and I haven't heard of any of these. Note to self to check them out at the library. Thanks. Thanks also for the link about the MS memory quilt. I remember seeing it in a past magazine. Such a lovely thing to do with old clothes.