Tuesday, January 08, 2008

In the Beginning

Well, I can't wait any longer. PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE PREVIOUS POST. Like Harry Potter season, there are spoilers.

Here are the answers:

1. The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
2. Smilla's Sense of Snow, Peter Høeg
3. Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man (The Early Years), Thomas Mann
4. Stones for Ibarra, Harriet Doerr
5. James and the Giant Peach, Roald Dahl
6. A Year in Provence, Peter Mayle
7. Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell

I'm sorry to say no one wins a prize for guessing (right or wrong) all of them. I don't blame you . . . really. Now you can redeem yourselves.

And now the challenge. Please write a fantastic first line to your book and post it here. I expect all of you to participate.

I'm working on mine.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I regret to say I have only read one of the above books! How sad! Here is my first line...I've had it floating around in my brain for several years, though I've never known what to do with it.

So much depends, she thought, on being alone.

apple slice said...

Oh Amanda, this is perfection! You are genius of course. I do love it. Thanks for posting. I'm sure no one will rip it off. After all, this is a select audience.

Krustee said...

I only knew #1 and #5. 2 out of 10 is failing but I won't think of it that way.