Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Healthy Fear

This is a list of some things that I avoid for no really good reason. I am not a picky person but each of these things throws up a internal orange flag and I need to stop the boat so I don't run over the skier. The fears are mostly ungrounded but nonetheless real. A few of the mentions are listed for good reason. Keep in mind, I don't mind YOU trying them and using them and loving them. Many will be happy to know I have overcome my fear of mint but not green food coloring in excess.

1. milk chocolate chips
2. pumpkin flavored cold food
3. wild rice (is it really all rice, or are there other plants/twigs? mind you, i eat it but do not cook with it.)
4. white cooked cellaphane-y asian noodles that are too thick and too soft. (they look like brains which i have eaten but did not love.)
5. tube pans
6. cheesecake (and most cream cheese-based dishes)
7. carrot cake that weighs over 12 lbs. (once i was made to lug a carrot sheet cake for an event and the orange flag was born that day.)
8. cookies from a mix (i embrace packaged cookies in general.)
9. vegetable oil (i would use any amount of butter any day.)
10. sugared nuts in salad (i roast and toast but do not sweeten the savory and perfect nut.)

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Karen, what a great list! I would eat carrot cake that weighs any amount.

Some things are good to fear.

Anonymous said...

Some of my food fears:

1. Sour cream
2. Submerged food (what lies beneath the gravy/sauce lake?)
3. A classic dish which takes a marked departure from the traditional
4. Highly seasoned food
5. An unidentifiable ingredient
6. An entrée that has been described as a surprise and is unfamiliar
7. Certain foreign foods
8. Food that is not its usual consistency
9. Food that is not its usual color
10. Oh! the bane of stale food

rachel with redshoes on said...

For #2, what about pumpkin icecream, I like that stuff, and I don't even like icecream.

an adaptation on e.e. cummings

i fear
no food(for you are my food,my sweet)i want
no sauce(for beautiful you are my food,my true)
and it's you are whatever a spoon has always meant
and whatever a pan will always sing is you

apple slice said...

I don't believe I've had pumpkin ice cream. Or, if I did, I don't remember. I would make an acception for cinnamon ice cream. Brian, your list is educational for all and no surprise to others. Do you go for mayonnaise? I have more fear for mayo than sour cream. Food that is not its usual color. Very good.

R, the cummings is a charm.

Krustee said...

I fear fish sauce. Extremely.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but you are nuts regarding the nuts! How dare you deny a freshly toasted, 100% pure maple glazed warm pecan sprinkled gingerly atop a bed of spinach with feta or any of your strong stinky cheeses with a drizzle of vinegar and oil. Do you claim to disregard the lovely cashew lightly roasted with a warm honey and ginger glaze in a gorgeous asian green apple salad. I am offended by what I used to believe was great judgement!

I did enjoy Brian's list. It seems familiar somehow... Anyone up for a cheese omelette with a side of fried rice?

apple slice said...

You have converted me to the cashew apple salad.