Monday, May 05, 2008

Saffron, or Why You Should Take a Trip

My favorite freeway exit downtown is Washington Street. It housed the Pier 1 outlet which peaked for a short time, became mostly seconds, and then a place I never went. Years ago I purchased a headboard there. Recently it gave up the ghost and become a vacant building and canvas for graffiti art. I wonder about its rebirth.

The thing about Washington is you take a left turn and then a right onto India Street. The corner is gelato, Saffron is midway down, and Shakespeare's pub corners it off. You either turn left and go up the hill or you turn right into El Indio's parking lot. Might I suggest the lot? I have spent some quality time at El Indio especially when I first moved to this fair region and have Scout to thank for indoctrinating me. I recall with fondness the mini bean and cheese burrito, the paprika chips, the taquitos. We have enjoyed it to the fullest. I've been to the gelato place a couple times, and never to Shakespeare's pub. I heard it was so-so. Saffron was an unknown.

Katya introduced me to Saffron, and specifically the tofu salad rolls. The rolls are made in the morning. You walk into the baby pocket of a shop and order, calling out the sauce preference. I get peanut and a spicy sweet. The three salad rolls are wrapped in cool white parchment and stuffed with tofu, carrots, lettuce, mint, white noodles, and more. The sauce is potable. For under $5, one walks away with perfection.

I know I'm ignoring Old Town, and I'm turning a blind eye to Sassafrass, an exit I avoid for airport popularity. When I drive to the airport I get off at Washington and drive the rest of the way to the airport, turning right on Sassafrass and left onto the big street. It is my affection for Washington and India and my dislike of the road most travelled. A personal quest if you will. Every trip to the airport should include a stop on India Street for some homey vittels. It's hard to go wrong.

8 comments:

selma suzanne said...

It's the best corner ever! Mmmm I want a spring roll. Last time I visited the official Saffron and ordered a noodle dish. It was superb! You must stop in for one sometime soon. So glad you enjoy it as much as I do : ) YUMMERS.

Amanda said...

Sounds delicious! I'm in the mood for some yummy food.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a fun assortment of food. To think of what one may find by taking a turn here or a turn there.

Of course, it is important to beware of highly seasoned foods, as this can be done to mask less-than-quality ingredients. I like to know what I am eating.

As for me, I long to spy the almost legendary Chart House restaurant. Imagine, glimpsing through its door the subdued lighting, fine oil paintings of the sea, and possibly a piping-hot plate of fish and chips!

Krustee said...

ahhh this post just makes me so happy. I had no idea Pier 1 outlet had closed. They lost our patronage and could not go on I suppose. I do have a few treasures from the early days. I am indebted to you for bringing me to Saffron. It has become a fav of Dolls as well. Dear El Indio. I'm sure they are responsible for a substantial part of my body. Next time I go to the airport I intend to call first and have Saffron run spring rolls and peanut sauce out to my car.

apple slice said...

My goal in life is to order a hot pot from a Thai restaurant. I need to see it and eat it. I will photograph it. Brian, I plan to deliver you to the Chart House that has fish and is right on the ocean. I ate chocolate lava cake there about 1 1/2 years ago. Scout, thank you for reminding about the curbside service. Obviously, not something I've taken advantage of. You'll not Selma S is eating gelato in her image. In Italy no less.

rachel with redshoes on said...

Washington is a good exit and if you keep going East up and over the hill, you can get to Bronx Pizza, which I miss a lot. Sad about Pier 1 outlet, I have a few treasures from there, but it was inconsistant in its value of offerings. Who slighted Shakespears? The food is British, enough for most people to abhore it. But, I will always love it as my first introduction to Cock n' Bull Ginger Beer. Their fish and chips are good and they have a little shop where you can get your English sweets and treats. Winegums, prawn flavoured crisps, twigs, etc. Additionally you can play a game of darts while waiting for dinner or after. You should go at least once. I have been missing that great salsa I was addicted to, I can't even remember the name now, but I remember how good it was.

apple slice said...

Thank you for remembering Bronx pizza. It is quite tasty. I don't know who cast a bad light on the pub but your comments have made me rethink my prejudice. I will indeed pay it a visit some time soon with luck. An anglophile like you would know.

Senegae said...

How funny - I also had an affinity for the Washington exit and it actually had nothing to do with my home state of origin. El Indio was a treat. I always wanted to try Saffron but never got around to it. How I regret it now.
I have a Christmas decoration purchased at least 10 years ago from that Pier 1 Imports and I still hang every year and think of that trip to Washington Street.

Another stopping point from this exit is The Casbah where I saw various wonderful musical acts, the highlight being Camera Obscura from Scotland. I even bought the t-shirt (I rarely do this). I gave my cash to one of the band members directly. She was curt and business-like during our transaction.
Another Casbah highlight was when Genevieve and Jefe and I saw the Starlight Mints. The opening act was that guy who used to be on Blue's Clues. No lie. He's a solo musician now. We made eye contact as we passed in the hall prior to his show. We are the same height.