Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall Reading List

After a trip to a couple bookstores this week, I am armed and anti-social. My current possession (rented and lent) of books to read is as follows. My request list at the library is as follows. I am greedy for books and wonder if I can possibly get through them. What are you reading??

Current Possession
Terre des Hommes by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
Guardian of the Dawn by Richard Zimler

Request List
Made in Italy: Food and Stories by Giorgio Locatelli (have been waiting for about 6 months)
Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Sixty Poems by Charles Simic
Ms. Hempel Chronicles by Sarah Shun-lien Bynum
The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

6 comments:

Fecture T. Mice said...

I'm reading your blog! I'm waiting for my glasses to be fixed so I can't read now.
How was your family visit???
t

apple slice said...

T, the fam visit was glorious. We fit a month's worth of experience into one week and had plenty of down time. Everyone was there, so it was superb. I made 7-layer bars. I cannot even comprehend broken glasses, being practically blind myself.

Amanda said...

I would read that book in your post based soley on the cover.

It is beautiful!

I am STILL reading "Mayflower" about the pilgrims and their settlement in Plymouth.

Next? Who knows. I'm finding it difficult to make the time.

apple slice said...

amanda, i loved the cover too. :) i'll let you know how it is. Mayflower sounds very good. I think I've seen it around and it looks dense. No small undertaking. For the record, Ms. Hempel is a thin book, maybe not even 200 pages.

Amanda said...

Your goodreads widget is beautiful!

Well done.

still.reading.Mayflower.

apple slice said...

Confession: I never finished Ms. Hempel. The cover was the best part of it and I never got hooked. I fear it was written too deliberately. Or, I read it as such. I fear it should have been titled Thoroughly Modern Millie. But, without the charm of the moving picture. Now, that is a film.