Sunday, May 31, 2009

Where Was the Cake?

My friend K was in town this week and she is very good at cakes. In fact, I like to cook for her. I only got the chance once and it was unexpected she was eating with us since she was conducting a month-long juice-milk diet. That's right. Fresh veg juice and whole raw milk. All you can drink. But nothing to eat. Had I known she had stopped her regime the night before our dinner, I would have made Burnt Almond Torte from Greyston Bakery Cookbook. It is a recipe I have been itching to create. As it was, we enjoyed fish, fruit, and fennel salad and griddled goat cheese with spicy olives. I am a big fan of toasts. The dessert was not exciting but I am just now remembering I have Fleur de Sel Caramel Haagen-Dazs in the freezer. I had completely forgotten. Pardon me for leaving now, I am so busy . . . .

2 comments:

Brian said...

It was too bad you did not know in advance, then you could have baked her a cake.

A cake makes any occasion special. ('Cookie' is from a Dutch word meaning 'little cake.') When I consider attending a special event, such as a reception in another's honor, my first thought is: will there be a cake? what will the cake be like?

I have found that sometimes special events lack a cake. Albertson's bakery makes some of the finest cake I have ever eaten!

Brian said...

Addendum:

(I believe it's considered bad form--when at a reception--to say, "Let me eat cake" if no cake has been provided.)