Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Gingerbread Cookies for All


We have taken father's tradition of gingerbread cookies every year at Christmas. He would make them himself in earlier years, all by himself. Now, we delay until Donny arrives and make them all together. Donn delivers a tinful to Tom when they return. All father's children were raised on gingerbread cookies. Robin hosted our event this year and we arrived to chilled dough. We wore aprons. Robin made the frosting this year, instead of father's traditional storebought vanilla. That night we took him a large gingerbread female at the care center. I intentionally skimped giving him his dessert which looked like a flat banana cake with cool whip frosting. I find I cannot easily feed him things I would not eat myself. He devoured the gingerbread after his dinner.



Gingerbread Cookies
Bob Lusby

3/4 C shortening
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
3/4 C molasses
1 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1 t baking soda, dissolved in 4 t hot water
4 C flour

Cream shortening and sugar. Add in beaten eggs and molasses and soda. Add flour and spices. Chill. Roll out and cut into desired shapes. Bake 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees F. Frost with vanilla frosting.

2 comments:

rachel with redshoes on said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rachel with redshoes on said...

I find myself wishing for a "thumbs up" like facebook button for this posting. I like it. I like that the tradition came from your father, so often we loose the traditions of our fathers and seem to only inherit those from our mothers. Yay for your dad's gingerbread!