Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hey, Good Lookin' . . .




I used to make a lot more goodies than I do now. I bake when I'm at home with family. But by myself, I normally wait for an occasion. Last weekend presented my occasion as I entertained a happy few on Friday evening. I overspeak; they brought the goods. I supplied Ikea gingersnaps in the red tin. The tin is so nice; the cookies are yum. AndrĂ©a made her mother's cocoa recipe. It is delicious. So, on Sunday, I made molasses cookies since all the ingredients were in the house and it was not a huge batch. I couldn't have been more pleased (don't overbake). I gave away two gift bags and ate the third gift bag when a friend cancelled later on. Next time I plan to have the cookies and the cocoa together. 

Old-Fashioned Cocoa
Andrea Schindler

Stir together 1 C powdered milk, 1/4 C cocoa powder, 1/2 C (rounded) sugar, and a dash of salt. Add 4 1/2 C hot water, 1 can evaporated milk, and 1 t vanilla. Stir well with a wire whisk. Heat over medium heat (do not boil). Add cinnamon, malt, whipped cream, or marshmallows to your fancy.

Mary Jones from Cleveland's Molasses Cookies
Sunday Suppers at Lucques by Suzanne Goin

2 C flour
2 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t kosher salt
1/4 C molasses
1 C sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
3/4 C vegetable shortening, melted to equal 1/2 C, cooled
1 extra-large egg

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Stir in the salt. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the molasses, sugar, melted shortening, and egg at medium speed for 3 minutes. Turn the mixer off and add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl. Turn the mixer to medium-low and mix to incorporate, scraping down the sides of the bowl, as needed. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix to combine. Chill the dough for about 15 minutes, to make it easier to work with. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a 3-inch round cutter to cut out the cookies. Place them on a parchment-lined or lightly buttered baking sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle a little sugar over the tops of the cookies, and bake about 12 minutes, until they puff up slightly and are starting to crack in the middle. The cookies will be crisp on the outside and chewy in the center.



No comments: