Thursday, July 28, 2011

Set in Stone: The Collection

I'm sure you've seen them. Garish shiny red or black plastico leather bindings. A moon-face of an author. Uniform dust jackets. Gilt gold spine lettering. Orangey-red-clothed from Harvard. They are different families in one catagory: the library collection. A small canon from someone who chose, another who approved. And now, they are for sale.


I don't wish to cast dispersion from my non-Parisian garrett. Even I have feelings of love for Everyman's Library from Knopf under the Random House umbrella. Some collections are pristine. I am first to say I love books, regardless of clothing, paper, typeface. However, they are a noble thing and the press should reflect this. If you are interested in buying the Everyman's Essential set for your home (100 volumes), I will break the bad news. The set is backordered. I like to think they sold out at $2,282.45 per (free shipping?) and are now reprinting.


I love a canon, it is true. I sometimes reflect on what is my approved list of books. And, how would I clothe them? The thought came about from reading this post on one of my favorite movies. I've read the book only once and vowed to find it soon to reread. The English Novel. What is more noble? This book would be in my approved set. The 100 Essentials has chosen instead Forster's A Passage to India, a choice I can easily self-explain. I must start creating a canon of English writers to set me on the path.

No comments: