Sunday, August 24, 2008

Casting Pearls



In case you're wondering if the Valrhona Les Perles are of note, they are. I bought this container of 0.45 lb dark chocolate pearls at Whole Foods in February and used some to decorate this birthday cake. I recommend both the cake and the pearls. The pearls have been sitting in my cupboard and I recently started eating them, one at a time. They are quite good and satisfying if you have nothing else that is chocolate or a fun sweet. They are small and nicely melty in the mouth. Tonight I channeled autumn and tossed a few in a mug of Mexican hot chocolate hoping they would float and look a charmed garnish. They sank like stones. I threw in a few more. By the time the mug was empty of all but froth, the pearls had gushed and let me bid a special farewell to the chocolate warmth. Please note the poached succulents and found shells in a mosaic bird bath, handmade.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnae know that pearls could be eaten!

(I've been reading a book recently that uses old-style spelling. For instance, 'ae' in place of 'o.' Words such as 'nae' and 'naething' appear frequently in the text, which is presently at a visitor to the inhospitable, dilapidated House of Shaws.)

apple slice said...

I didnae know Old English was so fun. Ho ho. I enjoy the oe combo in French. Graphically it is so sublime. A remarkable comment. Thank you.