Sunday, January 11, 2009

Granada: A Holiday Recap


In December I made these brownies twice. Once for a friend's large Christmas party where they served churros and cocoa with whipped cream and sprinkles. Once for a cookie and cocoa I hosted for our very small "dinner" group. We are now three. Once we made lovely meals. Once we went out to eat. Now, we gather for birthdays and Christmas. One of our group went to Spain this year and presented us two others with a themed gift. I found this presentation charmed and became delighted. She had visited The Alhambra and came away with a book by Washington Irving entitled Tales of The Alhambra. She searched for the same out of print version for the both of us. She also presented three small bars of real Spanish almond turron and a pump of pomegranite handsoap. You understand the charm now. I was entraced and could barely spoon more egg salad onto my water crackers. We toasted with Mexican hot chocolate and three tiers of holiday goodies. K took home the remainder of the Orange Pudding Cake. She had several helpings and I thought it fitting for her to polish it off at home with the boys.

Excerpts from Tales:
Page 127 "I would fain have a little minstrelsy, to refresh my mind when weary with the toils of study."
"A truce with thy hermit cravings," said the King impatiently.

1 comment:

Krustee said...

I would travel anywhere to attend anything you were hosting. I can't say enough for the orange pudding. I wish I could say I shared it with my boys but as usual convinced myself they wouldn't appreciate it.