Sunday, April 19, 2009

One Spice, Two Spice


This pattern is called Spice Cake. I worked on it at Christmas time and it was machine quilted during the early months of the year. It is twin size so it will remain folded for the time being. Just a few weeks ago, I visited my family and regained the quilt, finishing the binding the final night of my visit with my mother on one side, me on the other with legs sweating, Brian sitting in a chair, all watching The Boy in Striped Pajamas.

I can't comment thoroughly on the movie since my head was bent in concentration, but Patti did not embrace the ending. Brian had left early and missed the ending. I was fine with the ending, or as fine as one should be.

For snack at a presidency meeting today, I brought green beans, carrots, and celery to serve with this dip. I embraced making it because I didn't need to buy fresh herbs. I did grind the cardamom in my mortar and pestle. It could have been much finer. I have yet to reach my potential with the mortar and pestle.

Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.

White Bean Dip
Makes at least 8 servings

Combine 2 cups drained white beans with 1/4 C olive oil, 1 small clove garlic, peeled, salt, pepper, 2 t ground cumin, 1/2 t ground cinnamon, 1/2 t ground cardamom, and 1/2 t ground or peeled and minced fresh ginger in the container of a food processor and whirl; add water as needed to make a smooth puree (I don't know how I missed this last step; my puree was muddy and earthy). Taste and add more garlic, salt, or cumin as needed. Serve, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with a bit of cumin.

No comments: