Saturday, April 11, 2009

Brownies and Blondies

I have previously published my preferred brownie recipe. In fact, I did not like brownies before trying it. I grew up on boxed brownies and did not enjoy the overly sweet chemical taste, nor the abnormal top shine. I see these sad factors with clarity now that I have tried several brownie recipes outside the box, and have not met one that is not a welcome visitor.

Last weekend at home, we tried this one. I had imported a modest Zip-loc of Maldon in hopes we would have hungry mouths to feed. They lived up to the description, fudgey and salty.

My all-time favorite brownie is long on yum and short on flour. In fact, those who know say the less flour the better in a brownie. I do put in the nuts. I love nuts. I can't think of what a nut doesn't improve. My own mother doesn't eat sweets unless they are "chocolate and nuts." I have a more expanded palette and embrace anything "that is good." I once served these to someone who told me she didn't like brownies. I said, me neither. And, we both ate at least two. She has probably not said that since.

My conversation this morning touched on blondies which we all agreed were not brownies. I called them cookie bars. I love bars but do not liken them to brownies.

No comments: