Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Summer Reading in the Treehouse

This summer when I move to an island to live in a treehouse with shuttered paneless windows and door and a plentiful garden below and the sound of water, I will take two books to read for pleasure. The first is Villette by Charlotte Bronte at 656 pages. I am not acquainted with a soul who has read Villette but according to amazon, some have. It is especially delicious since I know nothing about it.

The second tome will be Middlemarch by George Eliot at 912 pages. I will probably read Villette first, and this second. I know I will enjoy the Eliot. It is some people's favorite book, ever.

I am currently in possession of two lent books from friends: Quentins by Maeve Binchy (who doesn't love to say her name) and Gertrude and Claudius by John Updike. My two library books are An Italian Education by Tim Parks (started last night) and Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos (may not get to by the time it's due and it's on hold so I can't renew). It was 90ish at the coast yesterday which is probably why I am making a summer reading list. What's on yours?

2 comments:

Brian said...

What a wonderful island it sounds like.

I believe that Charlotte Brontë is the author of Jane Eyre. She seems like a very good author.

The book by George Eliot, as it turns out, is not related to a book I once listened to by Elizabeth Elliot (whose husband was named George). That is a shame.

I may read a book from a mystery series I've enjoyed. And I will probably read a classic as well.

apple slice said...

Interestingly George Eliot is a woman. A pen name. I believe the real name is Mary Ann Evans.

You would read books worthy of a treehouse.