Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Fling for Spring


We had a fling this weekend. Jeff came for a good time and it was had by all. He drove down on Friday, joining me at work for the last few hours. He came to the temple on Saturday morning and we loved being there again. The rest of the weekend was made of quality time: long walks (day and night), church fun, and eating. In fact, he told me when he called on the drive home last night that the meals were a highlight. In addition to the other stuff that is. One of my favorite moments of the weekend was when he described to Cami how easy the apple pie was to make. Clearly, neither of them had ever made an apple pie and I chortled without ceasing. He lamented how long dough takes to make (I tried the TJs pie crust and recommend emphatically) and proceeded to list what goes in the pie, stopping after apples. Quite the time, my friends, quite the time.

Saturday saw us making meatloaf sandwiches. I will again state I am not a carnivore. But, I had made Lenny Schwartz's Market Street huge meatloaf on Thursday and had always heard tell of the appeal of a sandwich. I ended up using whole wheat kaiser rolls, havarti, and spreading mayo and mustard. We (ok, I) heated the loaf slices in a pan to warm and brown. Taken with Lay's Kettle Chips and veggie sticks. On Sunday morning we made sour cream pancakes (two pans going . . . it was fast and fun). Sunday evening we shredded pork from the daylong simmering crock-pot for Chile Verde. We were true to form, using a tortilla. The blessed tortilla. It is so precious.

2 comments:

rachel with redshoes on said...

It is too delightful. You deserve all your joy. The food does sound worthy of note. I am especially hungry right now.

aimskidoodles said...

Grandmother always loved leftover meat in a sandwich. She smiles.