Sunday, March 07, 2010

Muffins: Back on Top

In the early years of college, I went through a muffin baking period. It lasted about a year. Since, I rarely bake muffins and avoid commercially baked muffins as I would a plague. I have a healthy fear of oil and that's what they taste like to me. The only muffin I have entertained in the last few years is a large muffin at Pannikin featuring nuts and dried fruit. It is a meal in itself. I couple it with euco-mint tea.

As our weather has been rainy these past few weeks, I've baked two kinds of muffins. One was for a luncheon with Simone. She had a field day with them. The topping is fun. I have written elsewhere that coconut will make anything better. She vowed to make the recipe that day after a trip to the store and make housecalls to her friends. I encourage this kind of enthusiasm. That's what an applesauce oatmeal muffin will do to a nice person.

Today I made spiced yogurt muffins from Food and Wine. I clombed onto this during a search for something else. I use plain yogurt for just about anything I can. And, again, the applesauce. I would still like to try the applesauce cake in Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.

But, I will include here the recipe for Rachel Broadbent's Mookies, featured in Sunset. They are the best oatmeal cookies you will eat, and have place here for their likeness to muffin tops. Thank me later.

Mookies
Makes 16 giant cookies

1 C butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 t vanilla
3 C rolled oats
1 C flour
1 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C sweetened shredded dried coconut
1/2 C raisins

Mix butter and brown sugar until thoroughly blended. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine oats, flour, salt, and baking powder. Blend oat mixture with butter mixture. Stir in walnuts, coconut, and raisins.

Pack cookie dough into an ice cream scoop (4-oz. size) or 1/2 C measuring cup, scrape dough level with rim, and empty onto lightly oiled baking sheets, spacing dough about 3 inches apart.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven until cookie edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes (if using one oven, switch pans halfway through baking). Cool cookies on a rack; serve, or store airtight up to 2 days.

2 comments:

rachel with redshoes on said...

Well, of course I was delighted to read about muffins, they are a healthy treat. In fact my neighbor just gave me a bag yesteday of delicious muffins...but behold, an homage to moi? EVEN BETTER!! OK, really an homage to the Mookie. Truely the best cookie ever. Oh, Karen, I miss you. When I think about true and good friends, your name is always on top. I bet most of your friends feel that way.

apple slice said...

A comment without peer. So happy and what a nice thing to say. At the risk of repetition, may I send back to you, who is in a class alone, elevenfold.