Tuesday, January 18, 2011

American Girls


We knew it was a holiday and we went anyway. To the Grove. To the American Girl store. We reasoned it was better than Disneyland on a holiday. The Grove was wall to wall. The store was wall to wall. As I kept track of Bo and Taylor and Gramma on the down escalator, a presence swept by. I halted our descent, waiting for the next one to board the moving stairs. She was older, in a jeweled caftan. I turned down the stairs and saw Helena turned up, making sure her mother (?) had indeed embarked on our slope. Our eyes met. I kept her secret. Her hair was high, her face natural. I liked her immediately. But, I've always liked her. Almost without exception I embrace all British actors and she is one of my favorites. She stars in one of my favorite movies: Howards End. No, there is no apostrophe. As I reported my sighting to mother, I identified Helena as the bad woman in Harry Potter. Bellatrix. I guess that is the fate of all actors. One role, or in this case, their latest role. In her shopping bag, she had an American Girl.

3 comments:

rachel with redshoes on said...

I admire your aplomb. You are worthy.

aimee and aaron said...

describe her outfit. i'm always mesmorized by her clothes. this absolutely calls for chat time on the 19th.

apple slice said...

she was described online as anti-fashion. i think she often dresses like Raggedy Ann. A doll of a gal. That day (the day after her appearance at the Golden Globes I'm told) she wore all black cotton. Her hair was high (no doubt from the gala). She was a vision, not a disappointment.