Monday, January 31, 2011

January: Books are Closed


Or, how prepare turned into organize: It began with preparing for the year to come, or what is yet to be seen. If my living space is organized and reduced, chances are my mind is likewise (reduced in clutter, not brain cells). I notice I am better when my surroundings are comfortable, useful, and pretty.
  1. Things I ran through and then donated: closet, jewelry drawer, dresser, books, kitchen (compiled linens all together, let go of almost new stuff I have never used), cds, beauty products.
  2. Asked my roommate if I could have one of the two large cupboards in our tiny hallway (She has lived in this apt for many more moons than I and they are full). Put in the three shelves: blankets, towels/sheets, sewing tools.
  3. Purchased several more plastic bins for the storage unit out back. Purchased a labelmaker.
  4. iTunes: put every cd I wanted to have on my computer and organized in iTunes (who would have guessed I had so much opera? Not I). Donated cds I don't want to keep physically (which cleared a whole drawer in my vanity . . . yes, I keep cds, desk supplies, camera supplies, and craft supplies in the vanity. All is vanity). Kept those I did (in plastic bin in storage with all photos).
  5. Beauty sleep: did my best with the startling magnitude of beauty products I have acquired. Resolved to buy no more for the time being. I will buy mascara if I need it. I will not buy body cream/lotion/butter/souffle for many moons.
  6. I wrote down the quilts I'm working on. Before, these bubbled. Now, I see what is currently on the table (no wonder I feel buried in fabric). Some of these projects are at my mother's house. I have dual citizenship for storage. Also in the works is a quilt for Victoria who married over one year ago. I sewed Yellow Brick Road blocks but don't like them and until I do, will not give the quilt to Victoria and Len. Perhaps next time I visit mother they will have changed their appeal.
Quilts in Progress

  • Spiderweb: cutting background fabric from templates; 30 more pie pieces to sew; 130 finished.
  • Maison Garence Charm: have fabric; need to start nine-patches and cutting down charm squares.
  • Green Garden: learning to freehand machine quilt; ready to put on the machine.
  • Americana Exchange: making 18 house blocks to exchange in September, planning own personal blocks.
  • Thistle Thicket: choosing fabric.
End of the month: I have more floor space around my vanity stool (previously housed stacks). I love looking in my hall cupboard: the sewing tool shelf is especially comely (more space for air than the others). The closet floor is better in a few areas (I have a large closet with four sliding doors . . . it is the only big thing in my apartment besides my bath tub) and I actually see a swath of carpet. Sometimes I leave the door to this section open to gaze upon it. The cupboard under my bathroom sink is clearer and neater. Less stuff and more order. Clean and tidy = Happy feeling.

2 comments:

amy said...

i need you to come to glendale and inspire me.......

apple slice said...

yee haw!