Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Tortillas with Beans

I like them all: flour, corn, wheat, Ezekiel, and wheat and corn (Trader Joe's). I'm not super into the color wraps. Colored chips and other foods are pretty garish and don't taste super great. Back to tortillas: I love they can be warmed to a crisp or malleable to roll and dip in salsa. Today I am focusing on beans because I just made some. My favorite burrito is bean and cheese. My friend taught me a few years ago to make "refried" beans at home. I've made them ever since.

Mexican Beans at Home
Rachel Oh

1 28-ounce can of pinto beans
1 C chopped onion
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Sauté onion in small pool of warm olive oil on the stove. Once the onion is soft, pour in all contents of bean can. Warm about 20 minutes, uncovered. The liquid will evaporate a bit. Once about half the liquid is gone, use a potato masher until desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Homemade refried beans! I'm going to make those tomorrow. I'm already geting hungry. The blog lobe of my brain has been stimulated again. I've missed out!

aimskidoodles said...

yummmy!!!