Monday, January 03, 2011

Early in the Morning


I guess I'm not the only one up. I just heard a softly squeaky door and Brian's music. By my computer is 4:18 am in California. Looking out my window earlier, it is snowy white in St. George. Snow is quiet. I knew I wouldn't sleep again and the last of our company leaves at 7:30 this morning. It's been a holiday season of reunion. Donn (father's first son) and Nancy always come after Christmas. Because of father's mild stroke, Jerry (father's brother) came from Camarillo with two of his kids, Jim and Cheryl. Jerry played the role of honored elder as father is in the care center. Maysen asked if they hit him with a ping pong paddle in school. Ah, the dreaded paddle of yore. Donn, Jim, and Cheryl were among the lucky cousins, growing up together. Brian, me, and Robin came along almost a generation later; we were the only ones our age except for a few of the first-generation cousins' children. My dad's side of the family has always been old. My mother is an only child. Also making visits this Christmas are Tom (father's second son) and his family. Brian's music is off. He's either returned to slumber or taken to the shower. Last night we also welcomed Irene (one of the first-generation cousins' ex-wife) and one of our favorite people. She came for dinner with Bud (her new husband who can wear gold-yellow nicely). He thinks she is funny. Robin and I at the stove:

Me: I like Bud (all words with inflection).
Robin: I love Bud (as she fixed her gaze through the hanging pots and pans).

They were nearby visiting a daughter of Bud's. We made Grandma Lusby's Cinnamon Raisin Cookies, a recipe that is at least 160 years old. Katherine (Tom's daughter) helped us roll out and cut out and bake. It took Irene exactly 10 seconds to say, "Are those Grandma Lusby's cookies?" We shall see what the day brings. Will I venture out to cycling? What percentage of Christmas decor will we box? Will the trees come down? Will I make it to the cabin with many of them this summer? Normally when people list a series of what-if questions, they mean to say yes to them all.


Cinnamon Raisin Cookies
Gertrude Lusby via Irene Fisher


2 C sugar
1 C shortening
2 beaten eggs
2 T buttermilk or sour milk
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 t each of soda and salt
about 2 1/2 C sifted flour
1 C raisins put through a meat grinder ( i use a mini cuisinart)
1 C nuts, chopped fine

Roll out and cut with cookie cutter (make them bigger than your hand). Sprinkle sugar over before putting in the oven at 375 degrees F for six to eight minutes.

1 comment:

rachel with redshoes on said...

My Grandfather Noble (such a regal name) had the nickname Bud. I have always thought with my horticultural leanings, that I would like to have a nubbin which I nicknamed Bud.

I like the hushed and still feeling in the house that your entry evoked.