Saturday, November 13, 2010

Stockings, Not Nylons

The children have taken on the charge of mother's stocking these past years. It is very fun. I am a bit exacting toward the others. I insist on each finding a few items that are small, light, and her favorites. They hand them off to me before Christmas Eve and I keep them in a drawer in my closet. Despite our annual successes, I have run into a few snags with their offerings. Robin always buys mother a dish cleaner wand or other tall kitchen item that either takes up most of the stocking or sticks out of it unbecomingly. I like whatever sticks out the top to be either cute or festive. Brian often buys heavy-laden sacks of candy. They take up much of the space and weigh down the stocking. In fact, sometimes, a few items are forced to linger outside the stocking what with these choices I previously mentioned.

One year I hit the jackpot. An Eloise pencil box. I think it was her favorite gift she has received from moi. I will spend the rest of my years trying to top this. I read a few neato lists of stocking "stuffers" here. I dreamed up my own list for the joy and entertainment of my kith and kin.


  1. doublesided tape
  2. jerky and batteries, for the man in your life
  3. pens and Sharpies
  4. good paper scissors
  5. handmade candy cane
  6. box of spice
  7. jewels, for the woman in your life
  8. lip gloss, nail polish, emery board, foot file
  9. See's chocolate chips
  10. iTunes gift cards
  11. Lindt truffles
  12. car washes
  13. new box of crayons
  14. socks
  15. Johnson's Creamy Baby Oil with Cocoa and Shea Butter (heavy but worth it!)
  16. bubble gum or a favorite candy bar
  17. small packages of a favorite cookie (for example, Santa will give me Nutter Butters if I am good. He will give Brian Lorna Doones.)
  18. sunglasses
  19. super cool matchbooks
  20. money
  21. hair bands
  22. deck of cards
  23. and the stocking within a stocking: elegant hosiery

1 comment:

rachel with redshoes on said...

#4 - good sissors are ALWAYS welcome. Everyone always needs new, sharper, sissors.