Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Not Wanting

I read this article when I should have been doing something else. I'm sure you don't blame me. How could I not? Not only was I glued to how they have so little (almost nothing) waste but how they have so little in the house at all. The wife: "wanted to truly love and use and know everything she kept in her home. 'Even down to the vegetable peeler,' she says." Since I cleaned out my cupboards and closets this year, I know I could pare down more. I got rid of clothes, yes. But, I could be more cutting. The drawer in which I keep pajamas, long-sleeved tees, leggings, and workout clothes is my fullest. Hanging clothes need more room to breathe. This family has a handful of clothes per season. Being extreme like this would scare me; it makes the mother happy. Of course, I could do it. Changing a lifestyle is really huge. Sometimes I entertain the notion of walking away from my apartment without anything and starting new in a foreign city. I pick up a large wall hanging and live in a loft with pristine white bedding. I hang a few square snapshots or postcards. I hang a few skirts and blouses. Oddly, I have high heels. And then there is the foreign soon-to-be boyfriend. We go out to a concert, walking across laid brick.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I have heard so many people talk about this article. I confess to commenting prior to reading. I am interested in the movement to downsize, and though my home isn't exactly bursting at the seams, I could still stand to chuck loads of junk. We as people seem prone to accumulation. After cramming into Scott's smaller car after church, Ian was heard to say "we have too much family!" I have enjoyed accumulating children. I think my collection is complete.