Monday, May 02, 2011

Dress-Ups + Happiness = Quite a Vision

I made a quiet vow: I will dress for dinner when people come over. It started last week with Easter when I slipped into a black skirt, loose black top, and black patent sandals before guests arrived. I tried to look comfortable and a bit snazzy as if to tell them, "welcome to the home; this is an occasion." Last night I changed into a new summer dress, graphically blue, white, and black. It was also loose. Perhaps this is a nice theme for a dinner party. Haha. In small ways I have consciously upgraded when going places. The easiest way to do this is nice shoes, lipstick or gloss, and earrings. Small differences.

The image of the fellows above is the completion of my March happiness goal. The second from the left is my grandfather on his mission in France and Switzerland. My goal was vision with a focus on photography. I have my grandfather's mission journal and his photo album from the 1920s. We served in the same mission (me in the 90s) so they are a great connection for me to him. He passed away in the 80s. He loved books, was an accomplished speller, played the organ, wrote poetry, had a particular sense of humor, and loved my grandmother and my mother.

First, I wanted to aquire a scanner since no one in my immediate family has one that works. Plus, I am more into photography than the average bear so it made sense. I scanned the above image first. Second, I continued to learn how to use my father's old Rolleiflex and shot my first roll of film on it. And had it developed. I still need help loading the camera but soon will go for my second roll. I love tools and believe I should know how to use them.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I didn't remember that you served in the same mission as your grandfather! How very cool. I envy you with a scanner. I love your photography, and it will, too.

Robin said...

I 2 envy your scanner. At first sight, I loved the photo. I thought " What a great scene." It caught me of guard that it was Grand pa. I love the picture you must forward it :)

Unknown said...

I LOVED THE PICTURE OF YOUR GRANDFATHER! I MET HIM, AND HAD BRUNCH AT YOUR GRANDPARENTS HOME. IT WAS FUN TO SEE YOUR GRANDFATHER IN HIS YOUTH. ONE OF MY GOALS IS TO GET INTO PHOTOGRAPHY!