Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cheese Fondue

My mother made cheese fondue for us a lot when I was growing up. She served it in a red fondue pot and we chose our long fork based on the handle tip color. We became adept at fishing bread chunks out of the pot. A family meal at a common pot. When I grew I found people assume cheese fondue is Swiss cheese fondue, made with wine and spirits and white melting cheese. I've tasted it and it is just not the same. I know my mother has her recipe somewhere but it didn't turn up easily until I went through my old card recipe file yesterday. Cheese Fondue, Fontina. I think we used an orange Cheddar. It is delicious. We still request it for birthdays.

Cheese Fondue, Fontina

1 t caraway seeds
1/4 C hot water
2 T butter
3 T flour
2.5 C milk
1 lb shredded cheese
1 t salt
Pinch of nutmeg

Soak for first two ingredients for 15 minutes. Melt butter over low heat and add flour to make a roux. Add the milk gradually. Cook until thick and smooth. Add caraway seeds and cook until a simmer. Add the cheese one-third at a time, melt and stir constantly. Bring to a bubble. Add salt and nutmeg. Serve with bread cubes.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds delish! I'm wondering if this can be replicated on the stove with an ordinary pot and bamboo skewers? Maybe I can coerce my mother into passing down her 70's fondue accoutrements to me!

apple slice said...

you have everything you need. we made it on the stove and then transferred a la chafing dish to the fondue pot. yes, bamboo skewers.