Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Open

Yesterday my friend told me about her extended family gathering on Sunday. This is the frame of the story. They held a big family get-together honoring my friend's nephew. Among the attendees was an ex-wife of my friend's brother (the brother is now deceased). The ex-wife often attends reunions. Because of the ex-wife's long history with the family she knows a lot and she herself is not blameless. The family accepts the ex-wife but does not fully embrace her. So on Sunday, my friend's 90+-year-old mother approaches the ex-wife with open arms, a warm welome, and a "So great to see you. Didn't we have the best times together?" The ex-wife's eyes fills with tears as they part. You may have guessed my friend's mother had mistaken her for someone else. But the reverse-damage was done. My friend ate with her and they talked until parting. More of the family are likely to soften toward this person in the future because of what they saw. And this is the point that is true. With love and compassion, one person (in this case the matriarch) can change the course of the river.

1 comment:

rachel with redshoes on said...

This made me cry. It is true, that even mistakenly, so much goodness can come from a kind action.

Why do we hold back?