Wednesday, March 23, 2011

World Peace

Because it's raining, I came home tonight instead of staying out later. I like to head home when it's nighttime and there is rain. It's just cozier indoors. Cami and Phil accepted my offer of warm cookie with childlike happiness. It's a little thing I'm on right now. Years ago I went to a book club where the hostess baked a huge warm cookie for dessert while we ate dinner. Evidently, I have never forgotten it. I've taken to doing my own version in a pan. I undercook the dough and then scoop it with a spoon, topping with vanilla ice cream. This was the finale of our soup night (previously mentioned). I like to think it was a good finish. I remember another dinner, this one at Souplantation. Susan batted around the idea of cookies for world peace. Mrs. Field was mentioned as one who could possibly bring this about. I don't discount the idea.

Chewy Chunky Blondies
Adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

2 C all-purpose flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 C (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 t pure vanilla extract
2 C semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate, chopped into chip-size pieces
1 1/2 C walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 C sweetened shredded coconut

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and put it on a baking sheet. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Working in a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars and beat for another 3 minutes, or until well incorporated. Add the eggs one by one, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until they disappear into the batter. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate, nuts, and coconut. (I let the dough rest overnight.) Scrape the batter into the buttered pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the blondies comes out clean. The cake should pull away from the sides of the pan a little and the top should be a nice honey brown. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for about 15 minutes. You can now invert the cake onto another rack, and then turn it over onto a rack and cool to room temperature. Alternatively, you can keep the blondies in the pan. Cut the blondies into 32 bars, each roughly 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches. Makes 32 bars.

No comments: