Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Babette: Feast and Famine


In the recent past, I was surprised to find a few of my dear circle have not seen or read Babette's Feast. It is crazy how we think something is mainstream when it is off the chart of another. I question my own sanity. Truman Madsen and Jeffrey R. Holland have taught by teaching about Babette. There are some exciting ways to know more about the story and film. The most obvious is to rent the film, or read the short story. The film is really a knock-out. I go back to this most often. Spoiler alert! It is the story of a woman without a voice. She is a French woman in Denmark. She houses with two Dane spinsters whose religion requires simplicity. The French woman had been a premier chef in France. She wins the lottery and makes them a meal with her earnings. It is art, for art's sake. I feel like her when I dry my hands on a dishtowel or apron and have a moment of rest in meal preparation. I have set the elements in motion, and things are cooking.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This has been very enlightening. I will find the dvd asap. I read the spoiler- I feel so naughty!

apple slice said...

haha. i like this.